In the podcast we talk a lot about Udemy but you do not have to use this website to sell your courses. As you will hear John using many clever techniques to sell his courses. I have some courses on Udemy but concentrate my marketing efforts on building my brand through my own sites.
HOW TO CREATE AN ONLINE COURSE
Follow this 5 step structure when creating your online courses;
Planning – Production – Publishing – Platform – Promotion
Answer the pain of your customers – Who are you writing the course for
When putting together my youtube course I went onto facebook groups and asked my target market what they needed help with to get them started on youtube
John Colley suggests going onto Reddit and Quora & seeing what people are asking questions about to know what to include in your course
You don’t have to spend lots of money on creating your online course.
Record your laptop screen by using software programmes like Camtasia or Screenflow
You can buy very good quality USB microphones for around £50
- Set your price. John recommends around $97 or $149 on Udemy as they are known for heavily discounting courses to students from time to time
- Put keywords in your course title and URL – don’t forget about SEO
- If selling online courses on your own website then get trusted customers and friends to test it out first. We talked more about this in the Mum to Millionaire podcast episode ‘Ways to build your brand online’
- Don’t forget to ask people to leave reviews and ratings for your course
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket – use different platforms to sell you courses
Take a look at Udemy, Skillshare, Skillfeed, Fiverr and Fedora to sell your course through your own website (that’s what I do – see my youtube & Instagram course here)
You could even make an ebook for your course and sell on amazon – the possibilities of what you could try are endless
Use social media to promote your courses, word of mouth, build your email list and market to them.
THANK YOU so much to John Colley for his great tips, this is definitely a page to bookmark when you decide to start making your course.
The first step is to just start. It took me 5 weeks of hard work to put together my ultimate youtube course for beginners and John 6 months for his first course – so be realistic and set aside time to work on it.
- John Colley coaching website
- Take John’s Udemy course for FREE – especially for the Mum to Millionaire listeners
- Helen Lindop – featured on the 4th episode of the podcast & also sells online courses
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LISTENING
Please click here to subscribe to this podcast on itunes and never miss a show! Join thousands of other business Mums just like you.
I will also love you forever if you left me a review too – it will really help get this podcast exposed to more parents
Not got an iphone? LISTEN on ANDROID
If you think this post will help someone you know, don’t forget to SHARE using those icons
If we help each other we can ALL build successful businesses and create incredible lives for our children
Be Confident, Be Brave, Be You – Thank you for being part of the Mum to Millionaire journey